[TR] Miata Seats in a TR4

Lee&John Howard leejohn7 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 5 15:49:41 MDT 2016

For those late Tr4 owners out there who've been admiring the Miata seats in
the occasional Tr6, I'd like to report that they also work well in a Tr4.

Mine is a '65, and the seats I found were from a 1990 Miata. There are two
installation kits available ( as far as I know), one from Joe Alexander at
http://www.the-vintage-racer.com/  and the other from Rick Patton at http://
pattonmachine.com.  I found that the ARE kit did not place the seat far
enough inward to maximize backward travel, but that was the case on the
passenger side....I didn't try it on the driver's side.
Rick's brackets did set up well and the seats are now installed.

I like the high head rest, that they tilt, their longer seat length and
thus better thigh support, and their equivalent leg room. I had redone my
seats and interior in TRF red leather, so the grey of the Miata seats tones
everything down, but it still looks OK.

Happy to answer any questions.

John Howard