[TR] A BBC researcher screws up

terryrs at comcast.net terryrs at comcast.net
Wed Feb 24 16:12:30 MST 2016

This Monday at a day long meeting we had a lunch break where I found myself sharing awkward silence with a high-powered state government official, a very nice man, I should add.  To fill it, I happily started briefly talking about sandblasting wire wheels on my vintage Triumph this weekend.

After a moment of him looking blankly befuddled, I realized I'd better change the topic, since clearly the hobby of antique cars is not universal, nor even necessarily of vague interest.  I've embarrassed myself in better and more significant ways over the years, but I'm particularly fond of this one.  Still, I hope to do better on my next attempt at humiliation, since apparently I'm fond if it.

So I wonder about journalists too.  They leapfrog from topic to topic--today it's welfare reform, tomorrow it's the project to bring electricity from Canada through the White Mountain National Forest.  Have to wonder how they get any of it straight.

I do love hearing the stories of people on this List.  It's a place in New Hampshire where, apart from thumbs up from strangers on the road at my TR3A, I comprehend my company.

Terry Smith, '59 TR3A  TS 58667
New Hampshire