[TR] Stag Windscreen done!

Lee&John Howard leejohn7 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 11:21:21 MST 2016

The windshield is in and looking good. Here are some pictures, which do no
justice to the project.
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/69rm273w8qy53ri/AABSnNCOGyG81660Er4AnaIsa

Here's how it went.

Fearing the worst, I managed to stretch the gasket into place. I worked it
around with glass lying inside down, until  in the final effort pulled it
over the fourth corner.  I had hung the rubber over an inside door for a
few days beforehand to give it a chance to lose its packing roll,  then
gave it a another few hours in the California sun.

The trim pieces were a challenge, as promised. I managed to get them in
place with the plastic tools I've pictured in one of the shots. I found
that I could catch the outer gasket lip in its proper channel on the trim,
and then work the inner lip into tits channel with the wide blade plastic
putty knife. I'd then roll the gasket up just a bit and the thing seemed to
lock into place. I know none of this will make sense unless or until you've
tried it yourself. The corners were most difficult.

I chose a narrow but strong string - the orange kind landscapers might
use.  With a Triumph friend standing by, I ran the string around in the
deep groove, ends at the bottom, and then lubed everything with KY Jelly (
no snickering, please ) , the grove and the pinch weld.  We then "offered"
the windscreen up to the opening, setting it down on the weld. While the
friend pushed from the outside, I pulled the string slowly inside, and lo,
the gasket popped into place. Not so fast, said the windscreen gods, and
sure enough, we couldn't get it set deeply enough on the lower edge. Turned
out that the fascia, as its called in the ROM, was too tight to the gasket
and wouldn't let the screen set down far enough. After two more tries, that
was that for the day. Also, two  corners of the trim had popped off.

Next day, tried again. Set the trim more tightly, and pulled the fascia
back an inch. (two bolts on each end and two brackets on the top.)  A
friend of the Triumph friend, who's done this "a thousand times" arrived
and made it happen. This time the screen settled down fully on the pinch
weld. He spent a lot of time working the outer sealing flap into place. One
picture tries to show that.

So all is nearly good. One corner of the trim came loose but ai think I can
fix that. But no way could I have gotten the trim in place with the
windshield in place.

So I'm about ready to hit the road. Can't wait!  RThanks for all your help.

John Howard