[TR] Wire Rim Maintenance

terryrs at comcast.net terryrs at comcast.net
Sun Feb 14 15:59:46 MST 2016

Hello everyone.  Nice feeling.  Seasonal maintenance done and now on to reinstalling the wire wheels.  Coupla thoughts or questions.

First, while they were off, I cleaned the wire wheels front and back with Simple Green and a toothbrush, then took to a car wash to follow up with a pressure spray.  It being 20 below zero in NH today, the first stall's pressure hose was frozen solid, so lost $3.00 when it wouldn't work.  Second stall worked fine, but on inspection back in my heated garage (I do like a heated garage!), the area right behind the first spokes are still dirty.  Toothbrush won't fit.  Thoughts?

Second, I'm waiting for the ice caked on the rims to melt.  Good news about 20 below zero is that the ice forms seconds after a hot spray, meaning that the ice in the pick up bed and the ice on the wheels never have a chance to meld together.  Would have been interesting if the wheels had frozen to the bed until spring.

Meanwhile, am prepping the splines on the car sing Anti-Seize.  I have used copper lube in the past to good effect, but wheels are stiff coming off after a couple of years.  Have also used grease, but this also seems to harden over time and is a messy clean up before reinstall.  Have also used Anti-Seize, used sparingly, and seems maybe a bit better than the other two.  Was wondering about a light oil?  Thoughts?

By the way, went to Market Basket today to shop the grocery sales.  In the men's room, a man said to a couple of us other stringers, "Happy Valentines Day!"  Question:  In the men's room, isn't that just wrong somehow????

Happy Sunday, everyone.

Terry Smith, '59 TR3A  TS 58667 almost buttoned up for spring.
New Hampshire