[TR] Success

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Mon Aug 22 11:03:31 MDT 2016

> After we wrestled the starter out (you have to remove the carbs),

FWIW, mine comes out without removing either carb.  I installed a Helicoil
in the bellhousing for the upper starter bolt, so it can be removed and
replaced using a long extension, swivel socket and magnetic insert.
(This shot taken without the heat shield, but same approach works with
shield in place.)
http://s258.photobucket.com/user/TR3driver/media/TS13571L/DSCF0056-1.jpg.htm

http://s258.photobucket.com/user/TR3driver/media/TS13571L/DSCF0059.jpg.html

I do have a TR6 gearbox with the thicker flange, but I believe the same
approach would work with the thinner TR3 flange.

The starter itself can be removed through the bottom, after removing the
cables, by twisting it around and prying the motor over just a bit on its
mounts.

Also, a 1/4 drive swivel socket and extension makes the rear carb a lot
easier to remove (when necessary).
http://s258.photobucket.com/user/TR3driver/media/TS13571L/DSCF0018.jpg.html

Randall