[TR] Rattling

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Mon Aug 8 08:08:48 MDT 2016

> Timing tensioner failure results in a somewhat high-pitched chatter that
> should be easily isolated as coming from behind the timing chain cover.  A
> broken tensioner does not change the timing - engine runs fine like that,
> but in short order the broken tensioner will start to dig a hole in the
> cover.

Probably depends on where it breaks.  Mine broke right next to the pivot, so
essentially the entire tensioner slid to the bottom and wasn't rubbing
against the cover.

There was a noise, but it was more of a ringing, showed up only
intermittently and only at low rpm (just above idle).  It also wasn't very
loud, I might not have noticed it if I hadn't been driving slowly in an area
with no other traffic.

I don't know if the noise was from the broken tensioner, or the crank hub
that was loose on the crankshaft, but I'm inclined to think it was the hub.
I only discovered the tensioner because I decided to change the seal while
replacing the hub.

But as Geo said, it didn't jump time and ran fine.  I drove another 200
miles or so from when I first noticed the noise until I pulled the timing
cover.

-- Randall