[TR] TR3 coil question

Anthony Rhodes spamiam at comcast.net
Sat Sep 19 12:35:21 MDT 2015

That is can interesting question of why one coil was failing at high RPM while the other didn't.

Assuming both are in proper operating condition, then I would expect that the one that can't sustain high RPM has a lot more inductance than the one that worked ok

As a matter of fact, the "high voltage" coils probably get that extra oomph by having higher inductance.  The price you pay for high inductance is that it takes longer to "charge" the magnetic field of the coil.  So, there is a steeper drop off of output voltage vs RPM.

Do you have the specs on the two coils?  Btw the resistance of the secondary windings also has an influence.  So does the resistance of the primary windings though I am assuming both are 3 ohm.

-Tony

Sent from my iPhone