[TR] brakes

Geo Hahn ahwahneetr at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 14:42:17 MDT 2015

Sujit --

It is my understanding that many of the brake performance upgrades
available (pads, slotted or drilled rotors, etc.) are to reduce fade in
demanding braking situations.  Clearly an advantage in racing but not
something I ever felt I needed for everyday driving.

Even coming down a twisty mountain road I use the brakes only lightly, in
fact I probably use them more charging up the mountain.

If I have a firm pedal and can lock up all 4 wheels in hard braking then I
don't think I can get much better.

I am a fan of braided hoses as they do seem to give a firmer pedal which,
even if it doesn't equate to better braking, sure feels good.

BTW -- I think it may have been Sir Herbert Austin who defended his cars'
marginal brakes with the claim 'Good brakes promote bad driving habits'.

Geo