[TR] 74 TR6

dave n dave at ranteer.com
Thu Oct 22 08:33:00 MDT 2015

a friend has a 74 TR6, which he bought new.  parked it about 1987 in a barn, and we are now in the process of resurrecting it.  it is in reasonable shape; it was an Illinois car and there is some surface rust on the body, but nothing horrendous (now it is safely here in Texas).  the interior is also in reasonable condition.  of course, if this car were on ebay there would be “no rust” and the interior would be “excellent.”

so far, so good – the engine turns over nicely by hand!  yes, we are taking it slow; we want to preserve this car; it has about 70k miles on it and is pretty original.

we have run into an interesting snag – the trunk won’t open.  by looking at my 72, it appears the trunk is unlocked – the larger part of the opening for the key lock is on the bottom.  we can’t turn the lock with the key, and can’t push it in.  lightly tapping with a mallet does nothing.  pushing up or down on the trunk lid does nothing.

any thoughts/comments/direction?

just for the story – he has recently retired here in Texas to be with the kids and grandkids, and noticed me driving my TR6 around.  he actually lives across the alley and over one from me!