[TR] TR3 gearbox oil leak

Rye Livingston ryel at mac.com
Mon Nov 30 17:29:29 MST 2015

I'd also think it would have a distinct transmission oil smell if the owner isn't sure if it's engine or transmission.

On Nov 30, 2015, at 04:16 PM, Carl-TR <cfmtr3a at verizon.net> wrote:

There are only so many (or few) places for oil to leak from the gearbox.
I have my doubts that that is the problem.

Can the underside be cleaned sufficiently to have a ‘clean’ look to it from the below?
If so, I suggest cleaning it, topping up the oil and take it for a very short drive – enough to engage the overdrive.
Park the car overnight on some clean newspaper or something else to see where it is leaking.

Then put it up on a lift and see if you can then see where the oil is coming from.  Oil spots on the paper are ‘bread crumbs’
Possibilities –
Make sure all bolts on oil pan and gearbox are tight.  If oil is coming from one of the bolt areas – gasket could be torn?
oil pan warped and seeping out that way?
Rear oil seal?

If not the oil pan or loose bolts – no way to do anything but pull gearbox and maybe engine.

C…

Carl Musson
1960 Triumph TR3A
TS81802LO