[TR] TR3 Voltage Regulator

terryrs at comcast.net terryrs at comcast.net
Thu Nov 5 15:38:00 MST 2015

Hi, everyone.  Installed the LED headlights, so am taking opportunity to deinstall the alternator conversion.

Put the rebuilt generator in, hooked up the wires to the voltage regulator correctly and drove to work the next day.  Charging according to my voltmeter (replaced the old ammeter with one) at 15 amps.  Right at spec.

Next morning at start up, the ignition light went on and wouldn't go off.  Voltmeter read 12 volts because of the battery power going in, but no charge from the generator.

After checking all wires and grounds, tonight I took the cap off the voltage regulator, shorted the break switch, and the ignition light went on with the key off...what you would expect.  Started the car and the voltmeter showed 12 volts that jumped to 13 at rev.  I adjusted the regulator switch clockwise and bumped the charge to 15 at rev.  Seems that the generator is producing power.  Test shows that at startup without shorting the cutout switch, the cutout switch fails to engage.  Now I know where the problem is.

Easiest at this point to just replace the regulator.  Cheap enough.  But question.

Moss indicates regulators don't come nicely adjusted, unless you spend extra to buy that feature.  Is this really necessary?

Terry Smith, '59 TR3A
New Hampshire