[TR] Vibration at Speed

Rochlin Robert rrochlin at comcast.net
Wed Nov 4 05:12:02 MST 2015

Hi Everyone,
	Thanks so much for the replies to my post.
	I will start looking at the most obvious things like the hubs first and work from there, but I think that Craig may be right,  that I may want to choose my battles and learn to live with a little vibration as it could be a combination of small wear issues.
	 As I said, I’m running Dayton wire wheels and after about 25,000 miles they were true required no adjustment ( a lot of money to figure that out…) Wire wheels are definitely more finicky that steel wheels. The rear hub adapters were worn and had some play and, as a result, were replaced.   The steel wheels I originally took off were perfectly straight and ran true.  The outfit  that checked my wheels also trues steel wheels, but they are not cheap and it may be less expensive to replace steel wheels that to ship them both ways and pay shop costs.
	I also have had the same experience as Randall.  I had a 72' 240 Z back in the seventies and couldn’t get the shimmy out of the wheels for anything.  I went to local shop, Alignment Specialty Co., and had the wheels balanced on the car.  The car was absolutely vibration free after the on car balancing, but you do need to index the wheels to the hub/drums to maintain the balance, a much more challenging task with wire wheels as compared to steel wheels.
	Thanks again for the help and advice.
	Bob