[TR] Vintage cars ripe for electric conversion. Stag mention

Mark Hooper mhooper at indiefilmnet.com
Fri May 22 23:06:58 MDT 2015

Here is an interesting photonote on cars ripe for conversion to electric.
The text specifically mentioned the 1970-78 Triumph Stag. Here's the link:
http://www.bbc.com/autos/story/20150521-vintage-gas-guzzlers-ripe-for-a-battery-powered-reboot
The text on the Triumph slide reads "There is no list of world’s worst
cars that fails to include the Triumph Stag. It’s a shame, really; the
Stag’s reputation for reliability, or profound lack thereof, has obscured
its aesthetic goodness, which is considerable. The big semi-convertible was
created to compete with the vaunted Mercedes SL and, like most Triumphs of
the era, arrived with a gorgeous shape penned by Giovanni Michellotti, whose
previous efforts included the Ferrari 166 MM and the BMW 2002. It’s
handsome from the outside and handsome from the inside, and it drives well,
too. When it drives, that is. Unfortunately, the car’s Triumph-designed
3-litre V8 was a bona fide disaster, and as a result, the general public
remembers the car in much the same way it remembers New Coke and Microsoft
Bob. But there is a solution: excise that woeful engine, transmission and
fuel system. What’s left? The good stuff."

I have always like the looks of the Stag. The electric option is an
interesting one. What say the massed minds of the list; would it work? I
recall that many earlier conversions just  put a single DC motor in place of
the gasoline engine. That would leave the original automatic transmission of
the Stag still in place.  Sounds like a bad idea. I wonder if they have
direct hub motors available now?
Mark Hooper
1972 TR6