[TR] Question on cloth covered TR4 upper radiator hoses

Dave Connitt dconnitt at fuse.net
Tue May 19 18:44:04 MDT 2015

The current thread on cooling issues has me posing this thought..

About a year and a half ago, I got my 1967 Triumph TR4A IRS to a point that it was running and driving. As I was slowly finishing the restoration I noticed that the cloth covered top radiator hose I bought from one of the big three suppliers started to leak. So, I replaced it with a new one and continued to drive it. I think I have about 3,000 miles on it now and I noticed that I was loosing coolant again. After looking and looking for the leak, I discovered that the new upper radiator hose was soaking wet on the bottom.
I just ordered another upper hose but this time, I went with the smooth hose that Moss sells. It's only been on for about 20 miles of driving or so but in about a month I am planning on driving about 105 miles from my house to a British car show  in Louisville, KY. I am hoping this was just a fluke but I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem with the cloth covered radiator hoses?
Thanks,
Dave Connitt