[TR] Further Thoughts on Cooling

Hoyt Duff hoytduff at gmail.com
Mon May 18 09:48:16 MDT 2015

Here are my thoughts on cooling our cars.

It seems to me from reading the posts here that many of us store our
beloved TRs over the winter and prep them for spring and summer
driving.

The coolant that I use is purified water with no antifreeze. Water is
more efficient for heat transfer that any mix of water and antifreeze.

I do add a bottle of water pump lubricant and a surfactant like "Water Wetter".

Most importantly, to combat corrosion (especially with aluminum
components), I also replace the radiator drain petcock with a zinc
anode (cost: just a few $).
http://www.boatzincs.com/engine.html
The zinc elements themselves are replaceable. I use copper anti-seize
to insure a good electrical connection to the radiator.

When the cars go into storage for the winter, I drain the radiators.
If I want to drive it over the winter, I drain half the water and add
anti-freeze to keep it from freezing, then drain and re-fill with the
water-lubricant-surfactant mix next spring.

--
Hoyt