[TR] TR6 low oil pressure

aribert neumann aribertn at gmail.com
Mon May 4 13:41:51 MDT 2015

Joe:

If the oil pressure drop was fairly abrupt, one thing I would suggest
looking into with the engine running is to open the oil fill cap and look
at the top of the rear rocker pedestal.  There is a phillips headed 1/4-28
screw that secures the rocker-shaft. If that screw backs out there should
be a small stream of oil that runs out of that opening.

I did not bother to open the oil fill cap to do this simple check when I
discovered a low oil pressure issue.   I had that screw back out.  I was
next door to a Home Depot where I could have bought a screw to plug the
hole.  I drove an additional 50 miles - then I bought a new rocker shaft &
rockers (and rod & main bearings and oil pump).  Along the way I also
discovered that the cam once again had a couple of wiped lobes (explains
why the engine was just a bit rough running (I thought the carbs were out
of balance).  Because of other commitments, I did not get to drive my Spit
bodied GT6 (w/ 2.5L) until I did a quick test drive in early Dec (just
before the first snow fall).