[TR] Installed a RetroSound Model 2 in my TR4A over the weekend.

Dave Connitt dconnitt at fuse.net
Sat May 2 18:29:11 MDT 2015

So I installed a RetroSound Model 2 radio in my TR4A this weekend. I found a real good deal on the radio at Jeggs of all places, $274.00..
Anyway, the radio itself is very small. It will pretty much fit in the palm of your hand. I ended up having to re-route some wires behind the radio opening in the dash support and since I had installed one of Dan Masters wire harnesses, there were provisions for wiring in a radio already there.
The radio fits the opening in the dash support almost perfectly. The knobs and faceplate were backordered and I should get them next Monday or Tuesday. Not real sure I will be using the faceplate but knobs would be nice!

I had installed Miata seats which had speakers in the headrests already there so I wired them (the seat speakers) so they were in parallel. The good news is that at freeway speeds with the top down, I can still hear the radio perfectly. The bad news is the speakers in my seats are shot. The passenger seat speakers sounds like I am riding around in my dads old Pontiac.. LOL

I ordered a set of new speakers for the seats and should get them next week sometime. I went with the Clearwater CWC-3D head rest speakers based upon some feedback on a Miata website. The radio is really nice, it is Bluetooth capable so I was able to connect my I phone and play my music with no problems. It has a lot of features I may never use but it's amazing the power the thing has.

At this point, after almost 15 years I can say my TR4A restoration is done! Today it was 76 and sunny here and really enjoyed driving around.
I will be updating my website in a few days with the radio install if anybody wants to check it out.

I picked up a show and shine calendar last weekend at my first car show and will be planning on attending a lot of shows.

Let the driving season begin!
Dave Connitt
'67 TR4A IRS
http://davestr4a.com