[TR] GT6 Cabriolet, diff

John Macartney john.macartney at ukpips.org.uk
Fri Mar 6 01:56:28 MST 2015

Factory specs for GT6 axle ratios for all markets were 3.89 diff on all cars
with overdrive and 3.27 for those without. I too had a Mk2 GT6 with a 3.27
diff and an overdrive because such a combo was available but never promoted.
It gave a final overall ratio of about 2.82:1. I can't remember speed values
this far down the track but (a) maximum speed was faster in direct 4th than
overdrive 4th, and (b) you needed a long downhill and a following strong
wind to get it to pull more than 4,000 revs in overdrive 4th. But all that
to one side, it made a great long-distance cruiser and the fuel consumption
was very respectable. That's an issue that was important to me then - and
still is today.

Jonmac