[TR] lightened flywheel

J.C. Hassall jhassall at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 06:54:33 MDT 2015

Dave,

I'm running a Fidanza in my autox/street TR4 with no (apparent?) problems.
Mine is a shrink fit onto the crank (10 minutes with a MAPP torch).  Since
Aluminum flywheels have been known to wobble loose, I also had four extra
bolt holes and an extra locating pin cut into the crank and I used ARP
bolts.  That was definitely a "belt, suspenders and tight pants" approach,
but do far no problems, and I frequently shift at 6K.  As Randal mentioned,
Joe Alexander at A.R.E. (www.the-vintage-racer.com) manufactured a very
nice light weight steel flywheel, but he was out of stock when I built my
engine.  His and the Fidanza both weigh about 10-11 lbs.  Be sure to use a
TR4A / TR6 diaphragm pressure plate (not the TR4 finger PP).

BTW, I'm sure you realize that the ad claim about adding 10+ HP is bogus.
It just feels that way because the reduced rotating mass enables the engine
to spin up and down faster, which leads to faster car acceleration.

jim