[TR] lightened flywheel

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Sun Jun 7 21:16:45 MDT 2015

> there are a lot of vendors and pricing for a lightened
> flywheel for an ealry tr4.  and recommendations?  warnings?

I don't know anything about the Ralco (although I question whether it actually fits a 54 TR4 or produces more power that you can
measure with a dyno).

But the Fidanza was developed with input from several well-known Triumph racers; and I've been happy with mine.  One little trick to
help keep it mounted is that it is a light press fit onto the end of the flywheel.  You can pull it into place with the mounting
bolts, but I had to use heat to get it off.  After some 50,000 street miles on my previous TR3A, there was no sign that it had moved
at all.  I've heard of a lot of problems with others coming loose (although they were used in racing, a much harsher environment).

It might also be worth contacting Joe Alexander at A.R.E. to ask if he has plans for another run of lightweight steel flywheels.  I
would have used one of those, but they weren't available at the time.

-- Randall