[TR] Grease in the rear drum

Geo Hahn ahwahneetr at gmail.com
Sat Jun 6 17:34:42 MDT 2015

On Sat, Jun 6, 2015 at 3:35 PM, Randall <TR3driver at ca.rr.com> wrote:

> I'm sure you know this, but I'm going to mention it anyway: Replace the
> shoes.  No matter how much you clean the contaminated ones,  there will be
> more oil/grease come out when they get hot.  After that, they won't work
> right but you probably won't notice until you need them for a panic stop.

I experimented with (inadvertently) ignoring this.  I had not noticed my
axle was leaking until I lost the rear brakes entirely (in Las Cruces, New
Mexico).  Braking noise got my attention.

Upon removing the drum I found that the brake shoes had fallen off the
carriers and were lying in the bottom of the drum.  Apparently hot gear oil
will dissolve the glue that was used on the shoes.

Clamped off the rear brakes and drove home (300 miles) using just the
fronts.

Geo