[TR] Grease in the rear drum

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Sat Jun 6 16:35:16 MDT 2015

> Pulled the rear drum on the TR3 and found grease
> contaminating it inside.  At first I thought I had a
> differential oil leak into the hub, but because it's more
> like grease, is it possible that I've overpumped grease at
> the axle bearing?

Could be either one.  There were several service notes warning not to over grease the rear bearings, so it was a common problem even
back then.

But gear oil tends to both mix with brake dirt, and dry out from brake heat, so it can be rather grease-like.  Brake fluif is
another possibility for the same reasons.

As Geo said, conventional gear oil has a distinctive smell to it.

OTOH, the oil seals are easy enough to change, once you've got the axle assembly out (6 bolts from the back of the axle flange).  If
you pull them out, I'd go ahead and change the seals even if they aren't actually what's leaking.

I'm sure you know this, but I'm going to mention it anyway: Replace the shoes.  No matter how much you clean the contaminated ones,
there will be more oil/grease come out when they get hot.  After that, they won't work right but you probably won't notice until you
need them for a panic stop.

-- Randall