[TR] Fender bolts

davehogye dlhogye at comcast.net
Thu Jun 4 17:18:56 MDT 2015

Dave,
If you can get a wrench on the bolts and get them to move at all it might help, but I'd bet they are frozen with rust. Once you get the fender off, you can get a good look at them and decide what to do. They'll probably have to be cut off, the rust on the threads will cause the nuts to spin in their cage. I removed the panels that these 3 bolts go through, replaced the cage nuts with new ones, then welded the panels back in place as the factory did. I'll send you a couple pix.
When I restored my TR3, I went through every cage nut on the whole body and made sure they were serviceable, chased all the threads with a tap, squeezed the cage a little around the nuts to tighten them up a bit so the nut wouldn't spin during reassembly. I had to replace around 30 nuts and cages on the body that were not serviceable. I wanted the body to go back together without issues with the caged nuts and bolts. I also put anti-seaze on every bolt before reassembly.

Dave H.