[TR] alternator conversion in a tr3

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Jun 2 17:10:10 MDT 2015

> I confess that running to work for a week in the dark on the
> generator with top down, headlights and heater blaring, I had
> to manually recharge the battery.  With LED lights, I'm
> thinking the generator can keep up?

That's what I think, anyway.  I don't have a heater or wipers to suck power, but I'm having no trouble with my electric radiator fan
and the original 19 amp generator.  Even after an hour of LA rush hour traffic after dark (with the fan running a fair amount of the
time), the battery is still well charged (over 90%) when I get home.

And I haven't even finished converting tail & marker lights to LED yet.  Need to get back to work on that.

As a side comment, if you are frying generators every year or two, IMO your control box is to blame.  They do need to be cleaned and
adjusted from time to time; and one of the most important functions is to limit the current so the generator doesn't overheat.  The
generator itself will happily put out way more current than it is capable of, and burn itself up, without the control box to limit
it.  If you see more than the generator's rated current on the ammeter, less a few amps for ignition and whatever else is on,
something is seriously wrong and should be addressed immediately.

-- Randall