[TR] TR6 no start

Jeff Scarbrough fishplate at gmail.com
Sat Jul 11 18:27:57 MDT 2015

Well, this shouldn't be this difficult...

Last Sunday, I went to drive my 75 TR6.  Last time driven was about
three weeks prior.  Last tank of gas was ethanol-free, purchased on 22
May.  Currently about a half-tank left.

It started perfectly normally, and drove out just fine.  it's about
3/4 of a mile to the main road, and over that distance it began to
sputter a bit, then more and more, until the point that I was hesitant
to pull out onto the main road.  Good thing, as it finally sputtered
completely to a halt.  Just before it quit, it made a huge bang out
the exhaust pipe, accompanied by a cloud of black smoke.

So...

I have verified that the fuel is being delivered, the fuel itself does
not appear to have any water or other adulterants.

I have verified that there is a spark

I have verified that the condenser is good, the points open and close,
and the dwell is approximately 38 degrees.

I have verified that the piston is at or near TDC when the pointer on
the crankshaft indicates same, and the rotor is at or near the correct
position.

Static timing is 4 degrees BTDC.

And yet, I can get nothing but the faintest hint of firing.  Ether
doesn't help.  Today I pulled the front carb, verified that it had
fuel in it that wasn't watered, and that the float valve worked..

Interestingly, when I replaced the carb, it tried to start with an
empty bowl.  But as it filled, it got more reluctant to start.  Spins
like crazy, but no pop.

So, a mystery.  Am I on the verge of inventing the fuelless
automobile, or is it something simple?

(I should add that it's hotter than the hubs of Hell, here, and my
brain may be overheated...)

Jeff Scarbrough
Corrosion Acres, Ga.