[TR] Is My Distributor Worn Out?

John & Pat Donnelly pdonnel1 at san.rr.com
Thu Jul 9 19:40:10 MDT 2015

Tim,

This was a god-send. Today after work I broke out the timing light and the
electronic tachometer and performed your tests.

The vacuum advance works fine, but boy does the timing mark bounce back and
forth erratically. About an 1/8" to 3/16" at 1000 RPM. Or about 6-8 degrees
I'm guessing. I've been fighting a rough idle for so long and now I know
what it is. OK, I'm off to the Advanced Distributor website.

Thanks again Tim!

Johnnie
'67 TR4A with a 25D/40795A distributor

You should
> be able to turn it about 10 degrees or so in one direction against spring
tension
> that returns it to its original position.
> If it is firmly locked in place for both clockwise and anti-clockwise
rotation, the
> concentric rotor shafts are corroded together and will need attention.
>
> TR4s should see advance starting at 700-900 engine rpm.  The tables below
give
> you the min/max values for mechanical advance in distributor degrees at
> distributor rpm when the distributor is on a distributor machine.
Multiply by two for
> crankshaft degrees and crankshaft rpm when it's on the engine.
> The 40xxx number is the Lucas model number that's stamped on the side of
the
> distributor body.
>
> TR3/4		40698A
> Dist	Degrees Advance
> RPM	Min	Max
> 225	0	0
> 350	0.5	2.5
> 750	8.5	10.5
> 2700	13	15
>
> TR4	61-62	40734A
> Dist	Degrees Advance
> RPM	Min	Max
> 250	0	0
> 450	3.5	5.5
> 1550	11	13
> 2800	14	16
>
> TR4	61-onward	40795A
> Dist	Degrees Advance
> RPM	Min	Max
> 225	0	0
> 350	0	2
> 600	5	7
> 1200	9	11
>
> Use this Excel spreadsheet to print your own advance curve for a variety
of
> Triumph cars.  Each tab in the spreadsheet is a different model
distributor
> http://www.snic-braaapp.org/media/DistAdvance.xls
>
> If you plot the curve on the chart and you see a straight angled line with
no knee
> between two separate slopes, then you have incorrect springs inside the
> distributor.  At rest, you should see two springs under the breaker point
baseplate.
> One should be made of thin wire and should be tight on its mounting pins.
The
> second spring should be made of heavier wire and should be loose on the
pins.
> As RPM increases, the light spring controls the advance at a steep rate
until the
> pins move apart enough to contact both ends of the heavy spring.  At the
point,
> both spring control the advance at a shallower slope.  On the tables
above, this
> happens at 750, 1550, and 600 distributor rpm, respectively.
>
> The maximum advance is controlled by a cam that will hit one of the spring
pegs at
> full advance.  It should have a number stamped on it to indicate the
maximum
> number of distributor degrees advance it will allow.  You should be able
to see this
> through the holes in the baseplate.  The distributor models listed in the
tables
> above should have 14, 15, and 10 degree cams, respectively
>
> With the engine running, put a vacuum gauge on the vacuum hose that you
> removed from the distributor vacuum capsule.  Vacuum advance capsules
should
> have a vacuum source that provides zero vacuum with the throttle closed
and
> increasing vacuum as you open the throttle.  Vacuum retard capsules should
> have a vacuum source that provides full manifold vacuum with the throttle
closed
> and quickly decreasing vacuum as you open the throttle.  Stromberg carbs
have
> the retard source near the throttle plate on the bottom of the carb and
the advance
> source on the top.  SU carbs have the advance source on the bottom since
throttle
> shaft rotates in the opposite direction from Stromberg carbs.  If you get
no vacuum
> at any throttle position, your vacuum source is plugged or the hose has
extra
> (more than two) holes in it.
>
> Once you've verified you have a good vacuum source, have an assistant hook
it
> up to the distributor while you check the timing mark with the timing
light.
> Advance units should be tested at part throttle, retard units at closed
throttle.  A
> Mity-vac usually works better for this test than the vacuum source on the
carb.

> Shameless plug:
> Come to VTR 2015 in Fontana, Wisconsin from August 11 - 14 where we will
have
> a vintage Sun distributor machine in action at our Distributor tech
clinic.
> http://www.vtr2015.com
>
> Tim Buja - Rockford, IL - 80 TR8, 73 Stag, 72 TR6 VTR 2015 Registrar and
Tech

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/john.macartney@ukpips.org.uk

> -----
> No virus found in this message.