[TR] Is My Distributor Worn Out?

Geo Hahn ahwahneetr at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 07:06:53 MDT 2015

A worn distributor is a bit of a project to rebuild but a more common (and
fixable) issue I have encountered is sticky weights - this will show up in
the timing light test Randall describes and may also be detected by simply
twisting the rotor to the centrifugal advance position and seeing if it
returns when released.

I went so far as to try to plot the advance curve (crudely) by using a
timing light (with an advance dial) to see what advance I was getting at
various RPMs.

Randall <TR3driver at ca.rr.com> wrote:

> For a more accurate test, take the distributor to an old time "Auto
> electric" shop that has the magic machine.  I bought one on
> eBay, but haven't restored it to operation yet.

Then a local friend put it on his Sun machine and that answered all
questions.   A marvelous device that looks like a prop out of a 50s Sci Fi
movie.  Used it to plot the advance curve and confirm that the bushing and
springs were okay.

Geo