[TR] TR4A trailing arm shims

Jack Mc McGaheyRx at aol.com
Sun Jan 11 16:19:17 MST 2015

Tony -

I am also installing GoodParts CV jointed axles on a IRS TR4A at the moment and I found the same thing - I think there were 5 shims behind every bracket, plus a couple of non-original smaller shims that must have been added at some point for alignment. I have remounted the trailing arms with no shims (for now) thinking I'd let the alignment shop sort out how many should be where, but I have noticed the bump stop dish on the trailing arm on one side no longer lines up with the bump stop on the body.
I haven't looked into that any further because I am distracted by a more immediate problem:
The outer CV joint boot and boot clip are making contact with the trailing arm - I've never had this problem on the many TR6s I've done this to - so I measured and found the tunnel in the TR4A trailing to be smaller than any of the TR6 trailing arms I have on hand - hard to quantify how much since these tunnels taper, but looks like the TR4a trailing arm tunnels are a little over 0.1 inch smaller in internal diameter. Have you encountered this?
As an aside, there are quite a few subtle differences between the TR4a trailing arms and TR6 trailing arms - and the quality of casting looks better with the TR4 trailing arms - the quality of casting got better during the TR6 model run, but these TR4 arms make early TR6 trailing arms look crude by comparison.

Cheers,
Jack Mv

Sent from my iPad