[TR] TR4A - plastic fan - advice?

D&BLambert dblambert at cox.net
Thu Feb 19 10:01:55 MST 2015

Macy's Garage,
http://www.macysgarage.com/myweb6/Parts/triumph_accessories.htm , sells a
purpose-built fan for just such a problem.  Not inexpensive, but according
to one of our club members who installed one on a customer car, it worked
like a champ. End of cooling issues.  NFI on my part here.

Moss also sells a fan conversion kit for the TR3-3B that might work on a 4.
http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=66775.  Again,
NFI.

About 12 years ago I wanted to install yellow 8-blade fan on my TR3A, but
was also concerned about the closeness to the radiator: about a quarter inch
or less.  I didn't want to install it backwards for efficiency reasons.  My
solution then was to section a fan nose piece, shorten it about 5/8" then
braze it back together.  I mounted the yellow fan to that, giving me the
fan-to-radiator clearance I was comfortable with. It's still on my 3,
working well after 60 thousand miles or so.  The Moss kit is similar in
concept.  I also painted the yellow plastic fan black, but after some miles
the paint started chipping off, so I just put in a new yellow fan and called
it good.

I've also heard of folks using a TR3 fan nosepiece on a 4 because it's
shorter than the 4 nosepiece, thus giving the required clearance.  You can
then mount the yellow fan the proper direction.  That might be the
easiest/cheapest way to solve your issue.

Dennis

  _____