[TR] wheel bearings

Chris Simo ccsimonsen at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 20:10:30 MDT 2015

I'm pretty much the same - I put about 5k on the car annually (if I'm
lucky).  So I'm about every 3 years

I admit I nearly killed myself with wheel bearing packing -- I had a 71
type 3 vw coupe in college and packed the bearings perhaps too regularly.
I screwed up and likely did not allow enough play when I tightened and
backed off the spindle nut.

In the middle of a pizza delivery on the highway - the car took a sudden
left -- upon braking it straightend up. Loosening - severe left again -
crapped myself twice. got over to the shoulder and the wheel was severely
cocked over. The spindle had sheared off right at the nut. The only thing
that held the wheel on was the disc brake and caliper.

I keep the broken spindle in the top of my tool box as a reminder along
with the other fragments of my mechanical history.