[TR] Powder coating

Fisher, Ed edwd at ti.com
Wed Apr 1 12:58:24 MDT 2015

Here is a message I copied and saved from the year 2000, and it was from Fred Thomas, a true gentleman.  I bought the Harbor Freight unit he suggested, still have it, and we have powder coated many, many parts with it.  I was trying to teach my teenage son that there isn't much you can't learn and figure out with a little curiosity and getting past the fear of admitting that you 'don't know it all', so I mailed Fred personally and he sent me a manila envelope full of instructions and pictures to get us started.  I used that goodwill gesture to show my son, now grown and gone, the caliber of people in the world ready and willing to help others, even virtual strangers.  He is now in a profession helping others.

As another lister suggested, get an old electric oven and cure your parts in there.  I even made an insulated extension that fit over the door, in opened position, to the oven, which effectively doubled the depth allowing me to PC longer parts; valve covers and such.  The powdered parts don't really care about thermal uniformity, as long as the parts get hot enough for long enough it will flow.  I think 375F for about 20 minutes in a pre heated oven usually did the trick unless the parts have a big mass, then just extend.  Below is Fred's message.  May he rest in peace, and may we remember the goodwill he exemplified.