[TR] Thanks for the help on Spit vertical link

Jeff Scarbrough fishplate at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 08:04:48 MDT 2014

On Sat, Sep 27, 2014 at 1:00 PM, Bud R <levilevi at comcast.net> wrote:
> The first time I followed the hell coil
> instructions and counter sunk the hell coil just a bit. As it turns out the
> caliper bolt need those few extra threads at the very top of the hole. I set
> the hell coil at the top and there was enough threads to hold the needed
> torque.

Unless the bolt is too short for some reason, I don't see how this
could be the case.  I would expect a Heli-Coil to work fine in any
application where it's installed according to directions.  The only
time I've had one fail is when the underlying material is too weak
(usually due to insufficient thread depth in the oversize hole), and
the insert pulls out under torque.  This doesn't sound like your case,
since you found that less insertion leads to a better joint.  Perhaps
it went all the way through the underlying piece the first time?

Bear in mind that most Heli-Coils of a given diameter come in several
different lengths...

Jeff Scarbrough
Corrosion Acres, Ga.