[TR] Thanks for the help on Spit vertical link

Dave dave1massey at cs.com
Sun Sep 28 13:04:50 MDT 2014

Here's my two cent's worth.  The bolt is in shear.  The clamping force
applied to one brake pad by the piston is balanced out the pad and
piston on
the other side.  TR6's are notorious for having woobly
spindles but even so
the pads and pistons should shift back and forth
quite easily applying very
little force on the bolt.  The considerable
force applied to the caliper
bolts are the braking force applied in
shear and what little offset there
might be.

However, I agree with Randall in that if adding one thread means
the
difference between the bolt taking the torque and not taking it, you
have a marginal situation.  Normal overdesign is much greater than a
few
percent.  It should be closer to 2 to 1 or greater.

So, why did the first
attempt fail?  Could it be that the hole is so
large that there is little
material into which the helicoil tap can cut
threads?  when it failed the
first time did the coil itself pull out
any?

If you do have a failure the
sequence of events will be the bolt pulls
out a bit loosing its torque
setting and now the bolt is loose.  It
will shake and back itself out until
the caliper is free to rotate on
the other bolt when it could drop inwards
and the caliper bridge piece
rides on the disc.  This will be noticeable by
the sound it makes.  The
other possibility is it will fall outward and start
rubbing the ID of
the wheel,  Depending on the wheel design it could cause
the wheel to
lock up at an inopportune time.

I'm not trying to scare you
but I want to see you at the next VTR.  And
the one after that.

Dave