[TR] Source for drain plug

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Sep 23 07:02:42 MDT 2014

> My TR is a one owner car.  The brass plugs were in both.  The
> square head fits the gear box but not the differential.

That is strange, they were originally the same part number.  Perhaps the threads got damaged and someone recut them?

> Don't know why, I know they are the same, but now the square
> head in the gear box will not come off.

Try getting the gearbox good and hot first.  Nice long drive, or even heat it with a torch (being careful not to get too hot of
course, don't want a fire).  The aluminum housing expands faster than the steel plug, so the heat tends to loosen the plug.  I
suspect that is how they get so stuck, the expansion causes the plug to drip and so someone retightens it hot.

Some PTFE (teflon) paste should help it seal without being so tight, and make it easier to remove next time.

> My local Jiffy Lube is nice enough that the let me pull in
> there once a year and top off for free.  Even they could not
> get the square head out,, and I sure did not want to snap it off.

Sometimes, ya gotta do what ya gotta do.  I've often thought it was going to twist off, but so far I've been lucky.  8 point socket
and a big breaker bar.

Randall