[TR] Source for drain plug

thenicholls at verizon.net thenicholls at verizon.net
Tue Sep 23 06:39:49 MDT 2014

 The rear diff is the fill whole, my bad.

My TR is a one owner car.  The brass plugs were in both.  The square head fits the gear box but not the differential.  Don't know why, I know they are the same, but now the square head in the gear box will not come off.

My local Jiffy Lube is nice enough that the let me pull in there once a year and top off for free.  Even they could not get the square head out,, and I sure did not want to snap it off.

Thanks,

Craig

On 09/23/14, Randall
 wrote:

> I am looking for a source for the brass drain plug for the
> gearbox and rear differential for a 72 TR6.
>
> The square head plugs being sold are a pain. The brass one
> sits smooth and you use an Allen wrench as for removal.

The gearbox plug is just ordinary NPT pipe threads, so any plumbing supply should have them. I forget the size offhand, probably
3/8". I get mine at MMC
http://tinyurl.com/pk4rcu4

But I prefer the steel magnetic ones rather than brass.

I don't believe the diff on a 72 TR6 originally had a drain plug, so you may need to investigate what was added. I don't know why
anyone wouldn't use the same as the gearbox, but it's a possibility.

Randall