[TR] heater control valve

Gary Nafziger nafzigerg at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 16 19:25:40 MDT 2014

Newly restored tr-3 with over-hauled engine.  Installed new heater control valve.  Was getting NO heat to heater when engine was fully warmed up.  (could grab heater hoses with bare hands.....very very lukewarm).  I then fully closed the heater control valve and re-opened.  Results were that I got heat again and hoses were almost too hot to hold.  Since then I felt the hoses and they were very warm but didn't feel quit at hot.

I just have a simple question.  Does anyone know how the internals of the heater control valve are made?  Is the shaft that screws up and down fastened to something that blocks the water flow and possibly could come loose?  I'm wondering if the shaft and whatever blocks the water in the valve are no longer fastened  (or are loose/floppy) that could explain why I might have differing amounts of heating through the heater.

Just wondering.

gary n.