[TR] Break in Oil

terryrs at comcast.net terryrs at comcast.net
Tue Sep 16 15:17:31 MDT 2014

Okay.  I rebuilt my TR3A stock engine, used 30 weight non-detergent for a break in period, then switched to Mobil 1 fully synthetic.  All good.
Then...engine was overheating.  Investigation led to a cylinder sleeve that the machine shop cracked when honing (I say honing because they didn't remove the lip at the top).
Removed and replaced the cylinder sleeves and the now scored pistons.
Question:  I've been running the same full synthetic oil.  But what does that mean for seating the new rings?

Terry Smith, '59 TR3A
New Hampshire