[TR] Starting issues

dave n dave at ranteer.com
Sun Sep 14 21:33:12 MDT 2014

this is a fun one.  will be looking into it wednesday.  herebs the story:

72 TR6; we removed the overdrive transmission and sent it to QM.  car was
running, driving, etc., but the tranny was awful.  hopefully now its as good
as it looks!

we put the transmission back in, tested the OD without the engine running by
putting it in gear and hearing/feeling the big click as it engaged.  Then just
for grins (we were exhausted) I cranked it over just as a test.  I was a happy
camper.  done for the day.

car has a starter switch in the engine compartment which we put that in. It
pretty much goes from the battery, through a fuse, to the starter.

a few days later I went to start the car and the switch turns to the right but
the starter does not engage.  I can start the car using the engine compartment
switch, but not the ignition switch.

the ignition switch goes straight to the starter according to the wiring
diagram I have.  so its got to be the switch or more likely a connection?

anyone have a labeled picture or diagram of the back of the starter switch?

other ideas?