[TR] Suggestions for leaky gearbox

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Sat Sep 13 18:59:48 MDT 2014

> I suspect the leak is occurring in one or both gaskets on
> either side of  the
> overdrive unit.
> If that is the case, is there something I could put around
> the gaskets to stop
> the leak?
> I am looking for anything to avoid pulling it out and replacing them.

I had some success with "buttering" the entire area with one of the heavier bodied RTV compounds.  Permatex Ultra Black IIRC.

I started by draining it entirely, then cleaning thoroughly with spray solvent and paper towels.  Laid the RTV on thick and wide,
then waited for it to harden fully (not just skin over) before refilling.

As I recall, I drove for over a year that way without having to add oil.  Then something else happened and I pulled it out for a
rebuild.

- Randall