[TR] Positive or Negative Earth

Jeffrey Gayton jtgayton at icloud.com
Wed Sep 10 14:18:26 MDT 2014

Greetings. I'm having trouble finding out if my '62 TR4 has been converted
from positive to negative earth. Online sources say to check and see if the
grounding strap is connected to the positive or negative terminal of the
battery. Sadly, my battery doesn't have + or - signs on it. The grounded
terminal is labelled red, which suggests the car is still positive earth, but
the other terminal is green rather than black. What's more, both the green and
red indicators are rounds of felt around the terminals rather than part of the
battery itself, so I can't be sure that whatever they're trying to indicate is
actually true.

I tried looking online for the battery itself, but couldn't get any hits. It's
a Martech battery, part #27C-715, and it says it's manufactured by Maritime
Batteries.

Oh, and the terminals are the same size, so I can't use
the-larger-terminal-is-generally-positive test.

Thanks in advance for any help.

-- Jeff