[TR] Headlight Update

Anthony Rhodes spamiam at comcast.net
Wed Oct 15 05:07:00 MDT 2014

When I installed my 55/60 halogens, I added up the energy budget, and the 20
or 22 amp generator would be just sufficient at night with heater blower and
wipers.  But as you say, stop and go tends to drain the battery

The original regulator would provide approximately charge-neutral voltage at
near max load.   There is surprisingly little ability to recharge the battery
at night, even if technically there is an extra 5 amps headroom.

A modern electronic regulator that hold the output voltage right up to the
current limit of the dynamo WILL allow driving in stop and go traffic at
night. Classic Dynamo and Regulator Conversions in UK is introducing a new
line of electronic regulators at the big NEC show in November about a month
from now.

Also LED brake lights will help improve the energy budget when stopped.

-Tony

Sent from my iPhone