[TR] Pertronix

Brad Kahler bkahler1 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 12 12:59:30 MDT 2014

I'm not so sure I agree. I would think there is something else at play
generating the noise. First a little background.

63 TR4 with pertronix ignition, stock solid core spark plug wires, stock
coil and a Rostra cruise control system.

Car runs great, plenty of power and acceleration. After installing the
cruise control I had continual problems trying to get the cruise to stay
engaged. Worse, it would randomly turn itself on and activate the cruise
mode. Not something you want to experience, especially when heading into a
mountain curve! (Yes that happened to me) I tried everything to get the
cruise to work with no luck. By chance I happened to be experimenting with
a dash cam that had audio capabilities and the first time I downloaded the
video to my desktop computer the screeching ignition noise could be heard
coming out of the speakers.

Fast forward to the convention in Dobson. During the car show I bought a
set of TR6 noise suppression plug wires and installed them on the TR4. Went
for a test drive and the cruise worked flawlessly.

My take on all of this is a pertronix ignition is not affected by
a noisy ignition system, the pertronix by itself does not generate enough
noise to affect a solid state cruise control and a cruise control installed
in a car with a noisy ignition system could be deadly.

Brad