[TR] DNA, Bob, beer and battery

Dave dave1massey at cs.com
Tue Nov 25 13:38:19 MST 2014

My brewing related story needs no excuse since it has inherent Triumph
content.  I was at the auction at the 2007 VTR in Valley Forge  and I
was
beeing introduced to the Single Malt Society (Thanks, Tom Fansher)
and I was
chatting up another fellow when I glanced down at the auction
and someone
was holding up an old Ballentine Beer sign.  Since the
bidding was at about
$8 I thought I would bid.  I won.  Next thing I
knew three guys were headed
my way, one with the sign and the other two
with boxes of what turned out to
be a brewing kit.  My first thought
was "Oh, crap, that's all I need,
another hobby."  I was tempted to
take the sign home and leave the rest in
the hotel room but I have too
much Scotts in my for that.  Since then I have
brewed at least half a
dozen batches but they have all been kits from
Brewer's Best (
http://www.brewersbestkits.com/) (since that is what the
local vendors
sell) and I have been mostly happy with the results.  I'm not
a big fan
of hops and brewing allows me to tailor the recipe and add less
than
the full amount of hops supplied.  This allows the flavour of the malt
to shine.

I have not done any DNA tests but the geneology research I've
seen
suggest that I am a typical heinz 57 mut with ancestors from France,
Germany, Scotland, Ireland and quite heavily from England.  Perhaps
that is
why I prefer my wines from France, my beer in the English style
and the best
whisky is from Scotland.

Ok, ok, Triumph content.  My 8 (or 9) year old
Optima is giving up the
ghost as well.  Even with the gear reduction starter
it barely turns
over and the voltage drops so low that the ignition will not
spark and
the car won't start.  But I will wait until spring to replace it
since
it will be stashed away for the winter.

Dave Massey