[TR] TR3 cam timing

Greg Lemon glemon at neb.rr.com
Fri Nov 7 18:14:04 MST 2014

Setting cam timing is an interesting process, if you haven't done it before
it can be a little daunting, there are lots of instructions out there on the
web and most any if them should be adequate,  HOWEVER,  I read through a
bunch of them, some of them I thought were much harder to follow than
others, and I also recall there is more than one method to doing it, and
some made more sense to me than others as well,  anyway I read a bunch of
the online instructions until I felt I had the theory down pretty good, then
printed out the ones that seemed to make the most sense and had at it.  You
can buy a degree wheel pretty cheap, or you can make one ever cheaper by
printing one out found from an online search and then gluing it to some thin
cardboard, and practicing your kindergarten skills by cutting out a circle
along the lines.

After I did it I had another set of eyes come over to double check my work,
the old carpenter's adage, measure twice, etc.

I will also add that I don't think it degreed out quite perfect on a
particular sprocket, so I went with the closest one, don't know if this was
normal, or because the cam was reground, or because my measurements were not
100 percent precise.  Anyhow must have turned out OK.

If you don't build engines on a regular basis I think the recipe for success
is to read the manual and online sources, go out and do the job, take a
break, sleep on it, etc., come back and double check all work, then move on
the the next step.  I am by no means the worlds best mechanic, but that is
the method I have followed with the small number of motors I have rebuilt or
substantially refurbished, and it has always turned out OK.

Greg Lemon