[TR] 4 vs 6 vane water pump impellor

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Sat May 31 12:01:35 MDT 2014

> may I most
> respectfully
> suggest you do a quick spool-back and exclude the Stag V8? :)
> It was a mountain of trouble on the cooling side of things

I'm not sure why this showed up again today; but I'd like to clarify what I said before.  I think there is no doubt that the Stag
cooling system was marginal at best (and criminally negligent at worst).  Combined with an engine that is peculiarly sensitive to
overheating (as in one boilover can result in thousands of dollars of damage); there is definitely room for improvement (especially
with early Stags like mine).

But to improve a system, you start by improving the weakest link.  Adding more water flow to a cooling system that lacks adequate
surface area and/or air flow through the radiator is not going to help (at least not by much), and may even make the situation
worse.  More flow means more energy to move the water, and that energy winds up as heat.  More energy to move the water means more
load on the engine, which also increases heat output.  The Stag engine has a further weakness in that overloading the water pump
drive can result in catastrophic failure (rather than just a slipping belt as on any 'normal' engine).

So, to restate, while I agree that there is room for improvement in the cooling system in most Triumphs; I still haven't seen that
increased water flow is an effective improvement for TR2-6 and Stag.  Still just an opinion, of course, worth everything it costs.
YMMV and all that.  If you have evidence or anecdotes to the contrary, I'd love to hear them.

Randall