[TR] 4 vs 6 vane water pump impellor

Darrell Walker darrellw360 at mac.com
Wed May 28 07:19:03 MDT 2014

On May 25, 2014, at 6:04 PM, Bob Danielson <75TR6 at TR6.Danielsonfamily.org>
wrote:

> Another group feels it pumps the water through the system too fast and the
radiator can't cool it properly so the car runs hotter.

Im only a software engineer, but Ive always been skeptical of this argument.
Sure, perhaps per unit volume less heat will be removed as the coolant moves
faster, but you will have more volume going through, so it should balance out.
Also, I think the larger differential between the coolant and outside air
temperature makes the heat exchange more efficient, so having the coolant move
faster would mean more area of the radiator would experience a larger
temperature differential.  I mean, if I pour boiling water really fast across
my arm it wont burn me, because it will be moving too fast?

Or this may indeed be a real concern, and a case where common sense doesnt
match the physics.

-Darrell

--
Darrell Walker