[TR] Spitfire Engine Woes

Greg Lemon glemon at neb.rr.com
Sat May 17 15:08:56 MDT 2014

Thanks for all the replies on the Spitfire motor, I took a quick look today,
pulling the head was not on the agenda, I just wanted to see if I could help
with the diagnosis.

The valves are not stuck and seem to be working fine, no signs of oil in the
coolant or vice versa, the car starts and runs pretty well for running on
two cylinders (we didn't run it long, I just wanted to hear it).  I thought
he had a compression tester, but turned out he had borrowed one from the
local FLAPS, so no repeat compression test, but definitely little or no
compression on 1 & 2, I stuck my finger in/by the spark plug hole while he
cranked it with the ignition disconnected and although I could feel air
moving I would describe it more like a breeze from the pistons than anything
like appreciable compression on 1 & 2.

So my conclusion is--off with your head--I went through the basic steps with
the guy, but he was kind of on the borderline of feeling up to it, will see
if I can get someone that lives a little closer than me to him to supervise
and think it would all get done in a couple weekends (depending on the speed
of the machine shop.)

Greg Lemon