[TR] Spitfire Engine Woes

Alan Myers amfoto1 at aol.com
Sat May 17 13:00:39 MDT 2014

Hi Greg,

If it were me, I'd pull the head and look particularly closely at the head
gasket in between cylinders 1 and 2. The fact that two adjacent cylinders are
showing 0 compression is what's got me suspicious.

Yes, if the leak is from one cylinder to the adjacent one, you would quite
possibly see no compression at all (or so little it doesn't register on the
gauge) in both cylinders. Those cylinders are out of phase with each other...
One likely has either exhaust or intake valve open, when the other is in the
compression stroke. This would allow all compression to be vented away, as
well as any ignition that's still occurring in either of those cylinders.

You might first want to carefully repeat the compression test a couple times,
just to make sure it's not a testing error. Then if it is confirmed there's 0
psi in both those cylinders, go ahead and pull the head.

Like Randall, I don't see much point of a leak down test in this case, once
you know there's no compression at all in those two cylinders. A stuck or
broken valve or valve spring is very unlikely, since two cylinders are
involved. So I also don't think you'll be able to tell much just from
inspecting the valve train with the valve cover off. It's going to require
deeper surgery than that.

The good news may be that all that's needed is a new head gasket. Of course,
probably a valve cover gasket, too. This is assuming all that's found is a
blown head gasket, the head bolts all stay put, and both they and the nuts are
reusable.

Keep us posted what you find!

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif.