[TR] Anybody installed RetroSport wheels on a TR4A

Dave Murphy roadwarriordave at hotmail.com
Mon May 5 16:55:32 MDT 2014

Dave,
I have Panasport Light Weight 8 spoke 15" x 7", 0" offset mags on my TR6 shod
with 215/60 BFG TA radials. The combination looks fantastic and fits fine
without spacers. I expect the similarly dimensioned Retro Sport rims would fit
a TR4A  the same way.   But my car stays in the garage mostly because the wide
tires make it a chore to drive.

The steering effort is so high when parking that I think I might tear a
cartlige, pull a ligament or tendon, or agravate arthritis in my elbows every
time I park. And it must be hard on all the steering joints too. Because I
don't want to damage myself or the car, when parking, I don't turn the wheel
quite as far as I could, and it probably takes five times as long to parallel
park. I go back & forth, back & forth, back & forth, back & forth... Unlike
with the standard 185 x 15 Michelin X, one needs both hands and all the force
you can muster to park. Forget about letting your wife drive the car or
leaving Starbucks with a Latte in one hand and steering with the other.

And I have to really fight the wide tires when they follow ruts in the road.

So it's looks versus drivability. If I had to do again, especially at my
current arthritis-prone age, I'd stick to the 185 x 15's with rims of the same
3/8" (?) offset as came with car, and marvel at how nimble a TR is.

-Dave Murphy,
Dearborn Michigan.

Message: 3