[TR] Controversial subject...

Allen Hess allenhess at mgcarclub.com
Wed Mar 26 09:39:35 MDT 2014

When I built my TR4 A type, Mark Volker of British Auto helped me out
with parts and advice. He recommended 50 wt. Valvoline Racing oil.
Everything worked fine but without using the clutch it shifted with a
bang (racers might like that). Not wanting to replace u-joints or diff
gears, I always used the clutch. About a year later I changed to 30
wt. Valvoline and it was much softer but still had a good kick. I
still use the clutch. If you look up OD info, I think that internals
were changed to produce a softer engagement for the IRS cars. So which
A type that you have will figure into oil selection.

Last year I talked to John Esposito at Carlise and he had some Redline
MTL and said that many people were using it with no problems. I think
the Brad Penn would be fine and you can change to something else if it
doesn't perform to your liking.

Allen